Do you need personalized and professional help with a qualitative research or writing project?
Work with an experienced and successful higher education professional who is dedicated to helping you succeed! I am Dorothy J. Della Noce, J.D., Ph.D., The Academic Writing Coach. I am an award-winning educator. I have taught in both face-to-face and online settings and at all levels of the university, including the doctoral level. I am also a successful writer and editor. I have authored or co-authored peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters, and books. My editing experience includes serving on the Editorial Board of Mediation Quarterly from 1996 to 2001, serving on the Editorial Board of Conflict Resolution Quarterly from 2007 to 2009, editing a book, and serving as guest editor for a special issue of Mediation Quarterly. I am currently an Assistant Editor and member of the Editorial Board for Online Learning Journal, the journal of the Online Learning Consortium. You can view my bio, publications, teaching awards, and portfolio of teaching experience on this site.
I began The Academic Writing Coach in 2013 so that I could devote my energy to what I love most in higher education: working one-on-one with developing scholars to help them pursue their passions and find their own best scholarly voice. I concentrate on helping clients with qualitative research projects because that is the kind of research I love to read and love to do. As a result, my enthusiasm for my clients’ projects tends to be contagious.
My services are appropriate for:
- Doctoral students (including Ph.D., D.B.A., and Ed.D. students) who are preparing literature reviews, concept papers, research proposals, and dissertations; and
- Faculty members who are preparing research proposals, research reports, conference papers, journal articles, and book manuscripts.
My clients come from both traditional and online universities, and from institutions in the United States and abroad. I have experience with teaching English as a Second Language (ESL) and I am very happy to work with non-native speakers of English.
What kind of help is available?
I offer options for developmental coaching and editing that can streamline your work process, improve your efficiency, improve the quality of your final product, and also build your own confidence in the academic writing process. Clients say that these services help them improve their writing, enjoy the writing process more, and also save time, money, and frustration.
- Coaching. Coaching is a developmental process that helps you build on your own strengths, master new skills, and overcome barriers to your writing. Coaching sessions are useful when you want to work on your writing in a conversational way with the guidance of a professional. In coaching sessions for pieces of writing that are in early stages, I help you organize your thoughts, develop your research and writing agenda, and develop outlines and thesis statements. For work that is in a more developed stage, I offer ideas for alternative approaches to structure and argument, indicate where and why additional supporting evidence may be needed in your argument, provide links to helpful resources, explain where and why editing changes to the text may be needed, and coach you in using APA format. In addition, because writing can be a very solitary and lonely process at times, I can be a sounding board, source of support, companion, and mentor in the writing process. Finally, working with a coach provides the accountability that many writers need for setting and honoring deadlines.
- Editing. Editing is useful when you need another set of eyes to review a draft that you believe is complete or nearly complete. My line-by-line editing of your draft will help you conform your work to the standards of logical academic argument, proper grammar, and accurate APA format. I make suggested corrections to your text using the track changes function. You will see all changes that I suggest. You decide which changes to accept or reject.
Using these coaching and editing strategies, I help you with:
- Planning a research and writing agenda
- Improving research strategies
- Developing a thesis
- Establishing focus and coherence
- Organizing content
- Using supporting sources to best effect
- Building coherent and logical arguments
- Creating internal alignment
- Improving grammar and punctuation
- Correcting common ESL mistakes
- Mastering APA style
Why use The Academic Writing Coach for your editing and coaching needs?
- Personal attention. Choosing a writing coach or an editor is an important decision, so you do your homework. You investigate credentials and talk with the candidates in order to assess their competency and their “fit” with you and your project. You should not then be passed off to a contractor, employee, or team, and I can assure you that will not happen at The Academic Writing Coach. When you hire me, you get me. You and I will work together throughout your project. I will know your voice, understand your needs, and appreciate your interests. You will receive my personal attention and personalized feedback, tailored to your needs and your writing project, every step of the way. Maybe this “side effect” is equally important to you: because I am not running an organization, my overhead is quite low and I can pass those savings on to you!
- Expertise. My expertise as an academic coach and editor reflects my own active engagement in the academic world, including teaching, scholarly research, publishing, conference presentations, and journal and book editing. In addition, I offer expertise in qualitative research. Qualitative research is distinct from quantitative research in many ways. Qualitative research has its own logic and language. Qualitative researchers need to understand the underlying logic of their projects and how that logic shapes such decisions as the framing of the research question, data collection methods, sample size, data analysis procedures, and the applicable standards of trustworthiness for the research.
- Affordability & control. There is a free initial consultation, so you can decide if what I offer is a good fit for your needs. The fee arrangements are completely transparent. There are no surprises about the number of hours spent on your project because you are not charged by the hour for editing. You decide how much assistance you need, how much contact you want to have, and how you prefer to have contact (e.g., by email, telephone, or Skype). The payment process is simple and secure.
- Quick turn-around. Normal turn-around time for editing a paper of 50 pages or less is 3 business days. For a paper of 50-100 pages, normal turn-around time is 5 business days. Longer papers can be scheduled on an individual basis.
- Confidential. I do not share your identity or your work with anyone else. I do not use your work as “samples” to sell my services.
- Ethical. I am not a ghost writer and I do not run a paper mill. I help you do your own best work. You participate actively in the process of producing and refining your own writing. You can use my services with pride and confidence. You can share that you are using my services, and even share the feedback and suggestions that I return to you, with your advisor, supervisor, and colleagues (and many of my clients do).
Contact me. I encourage you to contact me so that we can discuss your project together. It costs nothing but your time. For email contact, please use this contact form. If you prefer telephone contact, please call 540-208-1749. (This is a Google Voice number and will ring both of my phones. If I am not available, please leave a voice mail or text with your full name and a number I can use to call you.) Please call only between the hours of 10 a.m. and 8 p.m. Eastern time. When I receive your message, I will contact you to arrange our free initial consultation. I look forward to hearing from you and to working with you!